Thursday, July 2, 2009

Discipline

When you read the word discipline what comes to your mind? Is it your Mom or Dad beating you one inch of your life? (maybe a little exaggerated :) Is it having your car keys taken away as a teenager? Is it a dirty word that causes pain and disappointment.

Thought of the Day: Discipline is not punishment. It is doing whats right even if you don't feel like it. I just started running again after a 8 month break. Tonight I didn't want to run before I went into work. However, I knew the benefit would far exceed the 15 minutes of struggle and possible pain.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 says Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

What are you disciplining yourself to do everyday? Are you disciplined to watch 4 hours of TV a day? Are you discipline to work 70 hours a week? Are you a disciplined season ticket holder?

Challenge of the Day: What area of your physical or spiritual life can you create a specific measurable plan to discipline yourself toward growth & health?

What is the eternal prize and purpose Paul is talking about in 1 Corinthians? It is the awesome joy and fulfillment in seeing Jesus face to face and being with Him in heaven. It is seeing the countless lives in heaven that we talked to, served, loved and sacrificed for on this earth. It is finally seeing the effects of the countless hours of prayer we spent asking God to touch our friends and families. It is seeing the effects of the countless hours we sacrificed to reach other people with the love of God.

Don't quit! You are making a difference. Let's live disciplined!!

No comments:

Post a Comment