Thursday, January 30, 2014

What is behind door #1?


We continued our new series this past Sunday "40 Days in the Word" with part 3" How do I see what God wants me to see? You can listen to the podcast at http://www.wyandottefamily.com/listen.html or you can download it from iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wyandotte-family-church/id478735158  

We talked about this "churchy" word called "Illumination." Illumination is simply the Holy Spirit bringing to life the Bible and speaking directly to you and your situation. It is like putting on 3D glasses and seeing the Bible come to life. On Sunday we talked about the 1st Benefit of Illumination: This week in my blog we have looked at seeing the solution to the problem, seeing the barrier in front of us and seeing that God is with us. Let's look at the 4th benefit of illumination. 

The 4th benefit of having our eyes opened is knowing what door to walk through.

Remember the old game show, "Let's make a deal." I remember watching that show as a child wishing I could get a hold of the people on TV and stop them from making a bad decision. It always seems so easy and it always seems crystal clear when it is someone elses choice. But for someone reason, when it is our own life, things become more muddy and a lot more complicated.

In life there is very rarely just one door to walk through. In our world there is very rarely only one option. There is often several options presented to us. Do I take the by out and retire? If so, where do I find a part-time job? Do I retire early or do I wait to I get full benefits? What degree to I get at college? Which car do I buy? Where do I want to live or buy a home? Who should I date or pursue more seriously? Choice, choices and more choices. Do I walk through door #1, #2 or #3. What if door #3 is a dud? What if it just a goat eating hay when door #1 had the jackpot.

When we get to crossroads in our lives there are often 2 responses. Some people get paralyzed with fear and they just stare at the options but never open a door. As a result their choice is to not make a choice. What happens is the door is picked for them and they have to go with it. The other thing that happens is people don't stop and come to a healthy decision or don't really hear from God and just start opening all the doors. What is the result? They may eventually find the right choice but there is often a wake of carnage behind them.

This is where we need God to open our eyes and illuminate our path. Here are some great verses in the Bible that speak to this...

Psalm 119:05: Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.

Whenever we are faced with options, whenever we are faced with big decisions, God's Word (The Bible) often lights up our path. The Bible is full of wisdom, guidance, commandments and truths for our lives. It is God's will for you and me.

Do you buy the house? God's word reveals truth on finances and good stewardship. Do you have the resources? What are the monthly payments? Will you still be able to tithe? Will you be able to give to missions? Will you be able to save?

Do you date that person? God's word reveals truth on romantic relationships. What direction is that persons life going? Do they have a relationship with Jesus? Are they going to sharpen you and challenge you to grow in your faith or will you have to compromise?

God's Word lights our path. That is why it is so important to know God's Word and study His Word. He has our best interest in mind. The Creator of the Universe has given us a manual for abundant living. That is why next week we are going to do a practical blog series on how to study the Bible. I can't wait.

Proverbs 3:5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take

Not only does God's Word reveal truth and shine a light on the path we should take, we get t talk to the Author of the book. We get to "seek" God. Prayer is also an important part of having our path illuminated. Sometimes, there are decisions to make that even after reading Gods' Word there ares still several options. We have the privilege of praying and talking to God through prayer. As we do, we can be confident that God will direct our steps.

BUT WHAT IF I HAVE READ THE BIBLE, PRAYED and still don't know which way to go? What if I still don't know what door to decide? My thoughts and experience are to simply wait. I had to make a decision recently that was a pretty BIG ONE. It was going to impact every area of my life. I prayed and read the Bible for months waiting. Then after several months, I felt an overwhelming peace in my heart and assurance of what decision to make.

Whenever you are making a decision that is directed by God, peace is often the result. God is not the author of stress or confusion. The decision he wants you to make may not be easy and make take everything you have but you'll still have a peace about it. Sometimes that doesn't come right away so we wait. We are not paralyzed and refusing to make a decision. We are intentionally and continually seeking God and waiting on HIM to guide us.

Isaiah 40:28-31--Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. 29 He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. 30 Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. 31 But those who trust (wait on) in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary.They will walk and not faint

When we take time to read Gods Word, pray and wait on Him, we often find the right door to take. God either illuminates a verse, opens our eyes to see something from a different perspective or even puts the right people in our path to talk to.

Decisions we have to life with. I am living with decisions from my past I wish I would have applied these truths to. I can't go back and change them. However, I can change the way I make decisions today.


Ps. This Sunday is "Souper Sunday." Come and vote for best soup. There are going to be 15 soups to choose from. You can vote by putting money in the jar next to the soup you like best. All money will go to the Hope Project, a non profit organization bringing awareness and fighting human trafficking."

No comments:

Post a Comment