Saturday, January 18, 2014

Can I trust the Bible Part 4 & 5 (Jesus trusted the Bible and it has survived all attacks)


We officially started our NEW series this past Sunday "40 Days in the Word" with part 1" Is the Bible reliable and trustworthy? You can listen to the podcast at http://www.wyandottefamily.com/listen.html or you can download it from iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wyandotte-family-church/id478735158  

If you have been a part of Wyandotte Family then you know how much we love God’s Word. Every Sunday morning we share God’s Word in creative and fun ways. We believe God’s Word is life-changing, trustworthy and complete truth. I pray that as you continue to follow along on this blog you will learn to build your life more and more on God’s Word.

Last Sunday we talked about the Bible being historically accurate. The past 3 blogs we talked about the Bible being scientifically accurate, prophetically, and thematically accurate. Today we are going to look at the 4th & 5th reason we can trust the Bible.

The fifth way I can trust the Bible is because it’s confirmed by Jesus. 

Jesus trusted the Bible. You may have heard somebody say, you may have even thought, “I trust what Jesus said, I’m just not so sure about those other guys.” Or “I’m not sure about the entire Bible.”  Here’s the challenge to that: Jesus trusted the rest of the Bible.  So if I trust Jesus then I have to trust the rest of the Bible, because Jesus trusted the rest of the Bible.  Jesus proclaimed the Bible as a unique book above all others.

Matthew 5:18, Jesus said, “I’ll tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished!”
Jesus looks at the Bible and says, it’s going to last until the end of time.  It’s going to accomplish what God wants to accomplish in this world.  It will stand the test of time.

In John 10:35 Jesus said “Scripture is trustworthy & cannot be altered.”  Jesus proclaimed the truth of the Bible.  And when Jesus talks about the truth of the Bible, I’ve got to listen to that in my own life.  When Jesus says that every sentence and word of the Bible is true, that’s why I believe that every sentence and word of the Bible is true.  When you read how Jesus talked about the Bible with people, he would often base his argument about the truth of the Bible on a single sentence or even a single word from the Bible.  So he believed every single sentence, every single word.  So why wouldn’t I, because I trust Jesus?

When Jesus talks about the Bible, he doesn’t just talk about poetry and history.  He talks about it as something that is life changing.  Luke 11:28 Jesus said: “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”  Do it.  Not just read it like poetry.  But obey it because God wrote it to our lives.

Jesus, as he talked about the Bible, he talked about it as a real book, talking about real people, and real places by a real God who’s really at work in our lives.

Just a real quick list of some of the people and places that the Bible talks about as real and Jesus also confirmed as he taught that were real. 

 Jesus believed in the prophets.  He talked about all the prophets being real.  He talked about Daniel being real.  Jesus believed in Noah, everything that happened with the flood.  He talks about that.  He believed in Adam and Eve.  Jesus believed in the tragedy of Sodom and Gomorrah and what happened there.  He taught on that.  He believed in Jonah and what happened there.

Here’s the interesting thing, particularly of those last four – Noah, Adam and Eve, Sodom and Gomorrah and Jonah.  Those are the most disputed stories in the Bible by people who say, “It’s just a bunch of fables.  They’re good stories, good moral stories, but they didn’t really happen.”  Jesus believed they really happened.  In fact he used some of these as illustrations of what was going to happen in his resurrection.  If Jesus really believed in Jonah, I believe it happened.  I don’t know how God created a fish who could swallow a guy, but he did. I don't know why Adam & Eve chose to disobey God in the garden, but they did.  I trust in it because Jesus trusted in it. 

It sort of makes me smile when two thousand or three or four thousand years later we look back at the Bible and go, “I’m going to trust that part and I’m not going to trust that part.  Based on my subjective or emotional feelings, I’m going to accept that part and I’m not going to accept that part.”  Jesus trusted it.  Jesus trusted it, so I trust it. 

Augustine said, If you believe in the Bible what you like, and you don’t believe what you don’t like, it’s not the Bible you trust, but yourself.  I don’t know about you, but I’ve found that my emotions, my opinions are not always trustworthy. They have lied to me and let me down on numerous occasions.  I trust Jesus.  He trusted the Bible. That’s another main reasons why I trust the Bible.

The sixth reason that you can trust the Bible…It has survived all attacks. 

That makes it an unusual book. The Bible is the most despised book, the most derided, the most denied, the most disputed, the most dissected, the most debated, the most outlawed, the most destroyed, the most banned book ever in history.  Millions of people have died because they refused to give up their Bible.  People were killed.  It was illegal.  It’s still illegal in some countries.  Today if you take a Bible into North Korea you can get killed for it.  South Korea is a Bible country.  But North Korea, if you take a Bible in you can get arrested and thrown in jail and you can be killed for it.

This Bible has been under attack for century after century after century by everything you can imagine.  Yet it is still the most read book in the world, the mot published book in the world, the most translated book in the world, the bestselling book in the world and it is still making a difference in people’s lives. 

 The Bible is the greatest source, single source of music.  The Bible is the greatest single source of art.  And the Bible is the greatest single source of architecture throughout history.  If you take the Bible out of culture, you have basically destroyed most of the major music, most of the major art, and most of the major architecture for almost two thousand years.  It is the source of our culture. 

 You speak the English language you do because of the King James Version of the Bible.  If the King James Version of the Bible had not been written, you would not be speaking the way you speak right now.  About four hundred years ago they published the King James Version and the words you use today, most of those words – many of them – most of those words came out of that book, out of the Bible.

Jesus said this in Mathew 24:35 “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.”  The only thing on this planet that’s going to last is the Word of God.  It’s eternal. Everything else is going to burn up, but the Word of God is eternal, because truth is lasting forever.

Voltaire, the famous French philosopher, was a brilliant man, a flat-out brilliant man.  He was an atheist but he was flat-out brilliant.  He wrote a number of tracts deriding the Bible.  Voltaire made a very famous statement in which he said “One hundred years from today the Bible will be a forgotten book.” 

Everybody’s forgotten that quote!  After Voltaire died, for nearly one hundred years, his homestead was used as the book depository for the French Bible Society.  They sold Bibles out of his house.  It’s now a museum.  People have forgotten Voltaire.  Nobody forgets the Bible.  “Heaven and earth will pass away; my word will never pass away.”

1 Peter 1:24-25 “The grass withers and the flowers fall, [in other words temporary stuff just wilts.  Today’s news is worthless tomorrow.  You don’t read last week’s newspaper.  It isn’t worth anything.  The temporary stuff doesn’t last.  The grass withers and the flowers fade…] but the word of God stands forever.”

 And the truth will always be the truth.  Whether I believe it or not, it’s the truth.  I could say I believe the moon is made of cheese.  We know and it’s proven that the moon is made of rock.  We’ve brought rocks back from the moon.  And no matter how much I say I believe the moon is made of cheese, it doesn’t change it.  It’s still made out of rock.

There is a bumper sticker that says, “God said it, I believe it, that settles it.”  That’s really a backwards way to say it.  Because really what we ought to say is “God said it, that settles it, whether we believe it or not.”  Because whether you or I believe it or not doesn’t change it at all.  The fact is there are a lot of things that are true; I don’t want them to be true.  So I can say, I don’t believe it, because I don’t want it to be true. It doesn’t make it not true. 

I don’t want that to be called immoral.  It doesn’t matter whether I want it or not. What God says is moral is moral and what God says is not moral is not moral.  It’s not my choice.  He’s God and we are not. The amazing reality is that when we align ourselves with His Word and His truth, we discover and experience the very things we long for (peace, strength, purpose, and life). We look for these things in so many other things hoping to find true life. Yet, God has shown us in the Bible how to have a close relationship wit Him and experience true life!!

 I could say to you, I don’t believe in the law of gravity.  Its fine for you and you may be a religious person but I don’t need the law of gravity.  

So you and I go up on the Empire State Building.  I say, I don’t believe the law of gravity applies to me because I don’t believe in it.  So I jump off the Empire State Building.  As I’m floating down at a rather rapid speed, about the hundredth floor down a guy looks out the window and says, “How’s it going, Jeremy?”  And I say, “So far, so good.” 

And that’s the way many people are living their lives.  God gives you the freedom to totally thumb your nose to him and rebel against him your entire life.  But that’s not the end of the story.  You can run from God the rest of your life, but then you can’t run anymore.  Sorry.  You’re going to come face to face with God one day whether you believe in him or not.  And all of the “I don’t believe in him!” isn’t going to stop that event from happening.

 The truth is at some point my face is going to hit the ground.  And the truth is we don’t break God’s laws; they break us.  When we ignore what God says in his inspired and trustworthy Word (The Bible), when we ignore what it says and say we don’t like that part, we only hurt ourselves. 

As we read the entire Bible from cover to cover we realize that God has our best interest in mind. Everything He asks us to do and everything He asks us not to do is simply because He loves us, wants us to walk closely in relationship with Him and with others. When we trust His Word, we will be living life the way He intends it to be. When we live life the way He intends it, we experience His life. Is it easy…NO! Is it worth it…YES!!

Join us Sunday at 10:30am as we continue “40 Day’s in the Word” with part 2 “The Bible changes us.”

 Don’t forget to follow us on facebook for up to date information Http://www.facebook.com/wyandottefamily and subscribe to our youtube channel. Simple go to youtube and search Wyandotte Family Church

 

This Blog has been adapted from Rick Warren and 40 Days in the Word Campaign


No comments:

Post a Comment