Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Building my life on God's Word part 3 (Hands & Mouth)


We kicked off our NEW series this past Sunday "40 Days in the Word." You can listen to the podcast at http://www.wyandottefamily.com/listen.html or you can download it from iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wyandotte-family-church/id478735158
We talked about using our five senses to build our lives on the Bible. We spent the morning going over “hearing God’s Word or receiving it with our ears.” Yesterday's BLOG was about the 2nd sense “Sight.” TODAY lets take a look at a few more senses.

I research Gods Word with my hands and my mouth.

Let me explain.  I research the Word of God with my hands and my mouth.  This is Bible study.  Researching is Bible study. 

Is there a difference between Bible reading and Bible study?  Yes.  How do you know if you are studying the Bible? It becomes study when you have a pen or pencil and you’re writing it down.

In fact, there are two components of study: writing it down and talking about it with somebody else.  That turns reading into study.  When I write something down and I talk about it with somebody else, now I am studying the Scripture. Now I am doing more than reading and I am meditating on it. I am being intentional. 
 
That’s why we believe in connection groups.  Why we over 15 different connection groups here at Wyandotte Family.  Because the way you study the Bible best is actually in a group.  You listen and you write and you read and you talk.  You use your hands and you use your mouth to study the Word of God.  I write down what I learn, I talk about what I learn.

In our home group studies during 40 Days in the Word we are going to teach you how to do this. We are launching 7 NEW home based connection groups the week of January 19th. You can sign up at the welcome center on Sundays or on the back of your communication card.
 
In Acts 17 Luke talks about a group of people in a city called Berea.  Berea was a little city in Greece.  He says “The people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, [Thessalonica was another city in Greece.  He said those Bereans were more open minded than those who lived in the city of Thessalonica.]  and they listened eagerly to Paul’s message.  They searched the Scriptures [circle that word  searched.  They searched the Scriptures.  That’s study.  Not just reading it] day after day to check up on Paul and Silas, to see if they were really teaching the truth.”

These guys are searching the Scriptures.  They’re reading and not just reading, they’re studying, they’re writing it down.  They’re having a group discussion.  That’s what’s going on here.  These people are listening to Paul preach and then they’re going over and having a group discussion about it, which is what we do in our home groups. 
 
We forget around 90% of what we hear. But when we write it down and discuss it, we increase the chances of God's Word becoming a part of our lives. We increase the chances of integration and application. Once again that is why home based connection groups are so important. They provide community, potential for relationships and an environment for the Word of God to truly bring life change.

No comments:

Post a Comment