Wednesday, January 22, 2014

God's Word builds our faith


We officially continued our new series this past Sunday "40 Days in the Word" with part 2" How does the Bible Change Me? You can listen to the podcast at http://www.wyandottefamily.com/listen.html or you can download it from iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wyandotte-family-church/id478735158  

We talked about how the Bible Transforms us. The Bible isn't like other books because the Bible is God's Word. It is alive and has power to change lives. We talked about how the Bible recreates our lives. You'll want to check out the link above. Yesterday's blog we talked about how God's Word helps get rid of our guilt. Let's look at part 3...

God's Word helps activates my faith.

The Bible not only helps eliminate or eradicate my guilt, it also activates my faith. That is so important because it gives me confidence. The Bible is like a spiritual B12 supplement. Regardless of what situation you find yourself in, you are encouraged and built up when you read the truth of God’s Word.

The reality is that many people today are not very confident. People may put up a smoke screen or front but deep down many people are plagued with insecurities and fears.  Many people would rather play it safe in their comfort zones than be courageous.  Many people  have a fear of failure.  They’re afraid of dying, afraid of losing job along with a plethora of other fears.  They’re not walking confidently because they’re not people of faith.

Faith is Word (Bible) activated.  The Bible says this, Romans 10:17, “Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the Word of Christ.” Another translation says “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.”   

If you’ve ever read a verse in the Bible and all of a sudden it hits you and all of a sudden you’ve thought, “I can do this!  I can do this!”  You have just had your faith activated by the Word of God.  If you’ve ever been in a gathering at church where someone was teaching or you’ve been in a Bible study and you heard the Word of God and all of a sudden you thought, “I can do this!  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!”  You just had your faith activated by the Word of God. That is why so many people describe church as a place where they are refreshed and built up. God’s Word activates faith inside of you. God’s Word strengthens faith.

This is the difference between the Bible and self-help books. Self-help books often tell you some good stuff.  They can tell you the right thing to do, they just don’t give you the power to do it. You read a self-help book that says, “If you really want to succeed in life you need to stop worrying.”  That’s helpful!  “Give up all your bad habits.”  That’s good too.  It’ll tell you all the right things to do and they’re right about a number of those things; stop thinking so negatively… but you don’t know how to stop it.  You don’t have the power, because those books aren’t living.  They aren’t alive. 

But the power of God’s Word not only tells what to do but it gives you the power to do it.  It increases our faith. 

When I read these thousands of promises in the Bible where God says if you do this, this and this, I will do this, this and this, that increases my expectation.  It gives me confidence. It gives me hope. It increases my faith.

My life really began to transform and change when I began to memorize verses from the Bible. When I began to focus on God’s promises and not my problems. When I began to speak God’s truth and not my fears. Why? Because there is power in God’s Word. It is living and active.

I encourage you to take time today to write out some faith statements for your life, marriage, family, job, friends etc. Faith statements are simply prayers based upon Scripture. It is speaking life into every area of your life instead of typical negativity and death. Here are a few examples…

I love You God with all my heart. You are my first priority and reason for living. You are the center of my life from which everything else flows from. I will seek you with all my heart today. I thank you that as I do, I will find you everywhere I am and everywhere I go. Because you are the center of my life, through your power and grace I will obey you and follow you completely! I will follow you today and allow your Spirit to lead my steps.
(Matthew 22:37-39-- Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. Joshua 22:5But be very careful to obey all the commands and the instructions that Moses gave to you. Love the LORD your God, walk in all his ways, obey his commands, hold firmly to him, and serve him with all your heart and all your soul.” Jeremiah 29:13If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. John 14:15—“If you love me, obey my commandments.

God I hunger for Your Word and memorize Your truths and allow them to renew my life. Your Word dictates and controls my thoughts and actions not my feelings. Your Word is truth, life and the foundation my life is built on. Your word burns like a fire within me.
(Psalm 119:105-- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:9-- How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. Psalm 119:11—I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:16-18—I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.17 Be good to your servant, that I may live and obey your word. 18 Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. Romans 12:2-- Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.)
The more we can read, meditate on, memorize and speak the truth, the more our fears, lies and confusion will flee. I pray that during 40 Days in the Word your faith will be stronger than ever before. May it continue on even after the 40 Days is done.

adapted from thoughts from Rick Warren and 40 Days in the Word Campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment