Wednesday, February 17, 2010

SACRIFICE--"I am the greatest"

Everyone wants to be the greatest. Everyone wants to be in first place. I know those closest to me, like to pick on me for being so competitive. I am sooooo competitive, when I play a game with my 5 year old daughter I still want to win.


Our country often prides itself on being the smartest, fastest, strongest etc. That mindset is so ingrained in us we default to that way of living & thinking.


Even Jesus' disciple's struggled with that mindset. In Mark 9 the disciples & Jesus traveled to a house in Capernaum. Along the journey the disciples were arguing among them who was the greatest disciple. Jesus asked them, "What were you guys talking about along the way?" for He knew what they were talking about. They were silent, ashamed to admit their discussion.


Jesus proceeds to say the most profound and counter culture statement anyone can make. He said in Mark 9:39-37...



35Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." 36He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, 37"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."


Jesus goes against our human nature and what we are taught and teaches us the one that is actually the greatest is the one who serves and puts others first. WOW! That is why we need God's power and Spirit in our lives. It isn't our natural nature to serve. But when we ask God to be in control of our lives, His Spirit lives in us and changes us.


As we plant this new church in Wyandotte, we are not competing with other churches. We are not trying to be the best. Jesus calls us to SERVE! One of our core values is serving the community. That is why we have and will continue to ask various departments in the city if they need volunteers. That is why we will partner with the city in events they are putting on. That is why we will continue to challenge and encourage every person at Wyandotte Family Church to have FUN and get involved in serving. When we stand before God one day, the first will be last and the last will be first.

No comments:

Post a Comment