Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How to study the Bible part 4



We continued our series this past Sunday "40 Days in the Word" with part 4" Why it is important to read & study the Bible on your own." You can listen to the podcast at http://www.wyandottefamily.com/listen.html or you can download it from iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wyandotte-family-church/id478735158  

The last 3 blogs we have been studying Philippians 2:19-30 by practicing the first three steps of Bible Study. Now we go to the fourth and final step of Bible Study which is application

Fourth and final step of Bible study is application. 

Remember this is the most important thing of all.  We only believe the parts of the Bible we actually do.  It’s not enough to study the Bible.  It isn’t enough to just know the Bible.  Study without application will give you a big brain, little heart.  We have to put it into action!!  We have never had more literature, books, writings etc. in human history than now yet we continue to struggle and find our world becoming more and more dysfunctional. Why? Because it doesn't matter how much information we have in our heads, hard drives or bookshelves, it only matters how much of that information we apply.

Remember “Don’t deceive yourselves.  Don’t merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.”  James 1:22. 

One simple way to help apply Bible to your life is something called “Picture it.”  What’s the scene in your mind?  Then you can “Pronounce it.”  Say a word, one at a time.  Then there is an acronym that Rick Warren gives to help with Bible study, “SPACEPETS.” Nine questions to ask when you are reading the Bible.

SPACEPETS: Is there a sin to confess?  Is there a promise to claim?  Is there an attitude to change?  Is there command to obey?  Is there an example to follow?  Is there a prayer to pray in this verse?  Is there an error to avoid?  Is there a truth to believe?  Is there something I can thank God for?

We have been looking at Philippians 2:19-30. Let’s do spacepets in this passage.  Is there a sin to confess?  Maybe.  Is there a promise to claim?  No.  Is there an attitude to change?  Yes.  I need to change that ________ attitude.  Is there a command to obey?  Yes.  Honor men like this.  Is there an example to follow?  Yes.  Five.  Five examples.  The example of consistency, the example of caring, the example of cooperating, the example of being considerate, the example of being courageous. 

So I would look at this.  The command to obey – honor.  The example to follow – five.  An attitude to change – yes.  Then I would write out a sentence on what I’m going to do about it.  Personal, practical, possible, provable, and set a date.  I’d write out a date.

Let me give you couple of examples of what you might have as an application of what we just studied.

First it says “Honor those like this.”  So I’d ask myself, do I know anybody like this?  Do I know any men/women in my life who are caring and consistent and cooperative and considerate and courageous?  Do I know anybody like that?  Then I need to honor them.  It may be your dad or your mom.  It may be your husband or wife, a brother or sister, a boyfriend or girlfriend.  It may be a Christian friend that you know.  Somebody you know.  The Bible commands you to honor those godly people.  So you figure out a way to honor them this week.  You write them a thank you note. 

So I first would say, how can I honor other people?  If you know somebody who is consistent, caring, cooperative, considerate, courageous you do that.

Then the second application I would go, which of these am I going to work on in my life this week?  Which one am I the weakest on?  Do I need to be more considerate?  Do I need to be more courageous for the cause of Christ?  Do I need to be more caring and think about other people and not think just about my own agenda and my business deal and my needs?  Do I need to be more cooperative and actually be part of a team, be in a home group?  You write down which one you’re going to work on. Read the passage all week, pray the passage all week and think on the passage all week. Then the following week write down how it is going? (repeat)

Application takes time. Some things will change and develop quicker than others. The key is consistency and faithfulness. God’s Word is alive and has the power to transform us. Be faithful in studying God’s Word and watch what happens!!

And you thought this passage had nothing to say! You thought this passage in Philippians was irrelevant to your life! Following these steps to Bible study, observation, interpretation, correlation and application, will help the Bible hit home right where you are at!!
 

PS. Adapted from thoughts from Rick Warren and 40 Days in the Word Campaign

PSS. Our next 3rd Friday event is Friday, February 21st "Fire & Ice." Ice Sculpture festival downtown Wyandotte. We'll have our own ice sculpture, have a warming tent, hot chocolate, and children's activities. Sign up to be a part on Sunday or email timeialee@yahoo.com

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment